How do I reverse an A/P check that printed and updated
The Payment Selection Register should always be printed before printing checks. This will allow you to Reverse a selection before the check is printed. After the checks are printed and Registered you must use Check Reversal and follow these directions:
Procedures to follow after using Check Reversal (option 6 on the main A/P Menu; APM)
Re-instating payable so check can be re-issued at a later time:
- Issue a Vendor Credit or reissue invoices.
- Do a G/L Journal Entry to wipe out the second posting to the expense(credit) accounts and A/P account(debit).
Voiding payable also:
- Do a G/L Journal Entry to wipe out first occurrence of invoice to expense(credit) and A/P account(debit).
- Check Reversal reverses the check on the Check Register.
- Check Reversal updates G/L for A/P account and cash account but, does not reinstate the invoices (payable portion) that the reversed check paid.
- Check Reversal does not set up a liability (payable portion) for the vendor.
- Causes A/P aging and G/L Account Payable account to disagree if the above procedure is not followed.